Thursday, August 30, 2007

Music and Writing

Setting the mood can be essential for some writers. For me, music is a necessity for my writing workspace. It doesn't matter what kind of music just something that can set the mood. If I'm working on a specific scene, the mood can be created with the type of music I'm listening to. But if I have no idea where I'm going with my writing, I can listen to anything.

I absolutely love my iPod! It was a gift that I thought I'd never really use, boy was I wrong. It's been one of the most cherished gifts I've ever received. The shuffle is fantastic because I have over 10,000 songs on my iPod and most likely haven't listened to a quarter of them. I of course, have my favorites on different play lists.

This fall when I start writing my new book, I am going to put together a play list for the book. This way I have an idea of the moods and themes of the book. It should be a different way for me to write. I'll let you know how it goes.

Usually when I write - (Before iPod) - I had a CD of writing music that I listened to. The songs were all instrumentals and I felt that was good for focusing. Now I find half the time I don't even hear the music in the background. It's just there for those short laps in typing.

No comments: